Safe Sitter® Class Description:
Safe Sitter® prepares students in grades 6-8 to be safe when they’re home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting. Students learn life-saving skills such as how to rescue someone who’s choking, and helpful information like what to do if there’s severe weather. The lessons are filled with fun activities and role-playing exercises. Students even get to use CPR manikins to practice CPR and choking rescue!
Our agency provides up to four Safe Sitter® courses each summer. Each class is a one day course taught in our community conference room and is typically held from 9:00 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. with a $35.00 registration fee. Participants are asked to bring their lunch and MUST sign up for these classes in advance as they fill quickly. Dates for scheduled courses will be posted below, and we will also create facebook events for these courses. For more information please call our office.
Safe Sitter® Course Content:
- Safety Skills: Students learn how to prevent unsafe situations and what to do when faced with dangers such as power failures or weather emergencies.
- Child Care Skills: Students learn tips to manage behavior that will help them stay in control of themselves and the children in their care. Students also learn the ages and stages of child development, as well as practice diapering.
- First Aid & Rescue Skills: Learning skills such as choking rescue and CPR is often students’ favorite part of the class. Students also learn a system to help them assess and respond to injuries and illnesses.
- Life & Business Skills: The ability to screen jobs, discuss fees, and greet employers will set students up for success now and in the future. Students practice these skills through various role plays.
Safe Sitter® Program Options:
- Safe Sitter® Essentials, 5½-hour curriculum (formerly known as Safe Sitter® 1-day)
- Safe Sitter® Essentials with CPR, 6½-hour curriculum (formerly known as Safe Sitter® 1-day with CPR)
- Safe Sitter® Expanded, 11-hour curriculum (formerly known as Safe Sitter® 2-day)