Being ready during an emergency takes preparation. Knowing what to do and how to react doesn’t come naturally, it’s something we learn. September is National Emergency Preparedness month. Do you know where your family will meet if there is a fire in your home? Do you have enough supplies for three days if there is an emergency that might keep help from arriving immediately? Do you have your important numbers somewhere that doesn’t rely on your phone or electricity?
All of these things are part of emergency preparedness. It’s never too late to start! In fact, just thinking about these things is the beginning of your preparedness journey. Check out the resources the Pike County Health Department has listed on our website for more information.
Pike County Health Department will be celebrating National Preparedness Month in many ways throughout the month of September. We will be sharing all sorts of educational and informational tips and more during the month of September on our Facebook page @BGPchd; be sure to follow us! We will have an informational table set up in our office with all kinds of resources and goodies.
And last, but of course NOT LEAST, we will be having give-aways! Fill out our quick yes or no survey online to be entered to win one of our 7 give-aways throughout the month of September!
We will be giving away TWO Portable Preparedness go-bags EACH FRIDAY (September 9,16 and 23). On September 30th we will be giving away a BIG KIT: a large Pre-Packed At Home Emergency Preparedness tote that also comes with 2 car-side assistance kits!
What’s in the Portable Preparedness go-bag? ($77 value each)
- Number Of Pieces 107
- Emergency kit or disaster preparedness: Stay prepared for emergency situations everywhere you go. Ready America emergency survival kits sustain 4 people for 3 days (72 hours). Basic essential emergency supplies recommended by the American Red Cross
- Includes 33-piece first aid kit: Comes with first aid essentials for minor injuries like bandages and wound cleaning solution. Take care of medical emergencies with easy-to-use supplies. Great for a car emergency kit or boat accessories
- Food, water, emergency blankets: Everything you need in case of an emergency. 4 survival food bars (2400 calories) and water pouches with a 5-year shelf life, survival blankets, disposable dust masks, nitrile gloves, whistle, ponchos, pocket tissues
- Four safety light sticks: In case you’re outdoors or in the wilderness with no light, this emergency bag includes 4 safety light sticks. Equipped with survival gear for hunting, boating, workplace, camping, backpacking, fishing, hiking, travel, home
What’s in the BIG KIT?! (Over $400 value)
- Paper products: towels, cups, utensils, toilet paper, plates
- Cleaning: Clorox wipes, gallon hand sanitizer, gloves
- Kids – wipes and diapers, activities, games, coloring books, glow sticks, puzzles
- Hygiene – toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouth wash, shampoo, deodorant, soap, razors, manicure set
- Outdoors – off spray, sunscreen, emergency sleeping bags/tent/blanket and safety whistle, ponchos, fire start cubes, zippo typhoon matches, utility lighter, 50 feet utility line, 6’’ watertight case, air horn, hand warmer packets
- First aid kits, masks, gloves
- Flashlights and plenty of extra batteries
- Fire & Water Proof Document bag with resources and checklists
- Fire extinguishers
- Food – can opener, canned goods, case of water & canned cat and dog food
- Toolbox with basic tools and socket set
- NOAA weather radio: Crank, battery, electric and solar powered
- 2 roadside assistance kits/backpacks and magnetic safety arrow.
A SPECIAL SHOUT OUT to the local businesses that were so excited to help support us in our efforts to educate the community on the importance of being prepared for emergencies!
- Full Throttle Nutrition
- Perkins Electric
- O’Reilly’s Auto Parts
- Community State Bank
- BG Tractor Supply
- LaCrosse Lumber
- Dollar Tree
- Clarity Dental
- Tony Windmiller
- Orscheln Farm & Home
- Deters Sign Co. & T-Shirt Shop
- Bowling Green Insurance Agency
- BG Tire and Auto
- BG Lumber
- Poage Ford
- Donna Pederson
- Dollar General Employees
- Pike County Commissioners
- Farm Bureau Insurance
- Reid Insurance Agency
- Home Bank
- Ayerco #35
- Sheriff Korte
- HNB Bank