From Pike County Health Department Home Health & Hospice
January 31, 2020
Current situation on the novel coronavirus for Pike County, Missouri
- Health officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) are monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (termed “2019-nCoV”) that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China.
- Infections with 2019-nCoV also are being reported in a growing number of countries internationally, including the United States, where the first 2019-nCoV infection was detected in a traveler returning from Wuhan on January 21, 2020.
Human corona viruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- The air by coughing and sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
- Rarely, fecal contamination
The Pike County Health Department urges you go take the same precautions recommended for avoiding colds and flu:
- Wash your hands.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough.
- Stay away from others who are sick
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE: 573-324-2111